Professor Christian Ottensmeier
Professor of Immuno-oncology/ Director of R&I
2020- date Professor of Immuno-Oncology
Liverpool Head and Neck Centre
Institute of Systems, Molecular and Integrative Biology
University of Liverpool, Liverpool L69 7ZX
Group leader: Translational Immunology group
+44 (0)151 795 1475
Director of Clinical Research,
Honorary Consultant in Medical Oncology
The Clatterbridge Cancer Center NHS Foundation Trust
65 Pembroke Place, Liverpool L7 8YA
Honorary Consultant Liverpool University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and Liverpool Heart and Chest Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
202-07: Early phase trial lead North West Cancer Research Network
2021-03: Academic lead, University of Liverpool biobank
06-2019 - date: Adjunct Professor, La Jolla Institute for Immunology, 9420 Athena Circle, La Jolla, California, 92037, USA
08-2020 – date: Visiting Professor, School of Cancer Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Southampton, UK
Modulation of human anti-cancer adaptive immunity
Development, testing and evaluation of therapies to expand antigen-specific anti-tumour immune responses
Molecular investigation of immunotherapy-related adverse events
Immuno-oncology treatment of solid cancers, particularly of Head and Neck Cancer and Thoracic malignancies
Fleming J and Thomson D (joint lead investigators), Ottensmeier (Translational Co-I). PROTIS: A phase III trial of proton beam therapy versus intensity-modulated radiotherapy for the treatment of sinonasal malignancy; The Taylor Family Foundation/CRUK, 04/22-12/2030; ~ £2.1 million
Vijayanand, Ay, Ottensmeier (Joint CI). SARS-CoV-2-reactive tissue-resident memory T cells in healthy and cancer subjects; 1 U01 CA260588-01; 09/2020 to 08/2025; US$2.7M
Vijayanand (CI), Ottensmeier (Co-I) Epigenomic and Transcriptomic Profile of Human Immune Cells; R24 AI108564-05 NIH/NIAID, 08/14 – 07/24 (US$79.000/annum to Ottensmeier)
Crotty, Sette, Vijayanand, Peters (joint CI), Ottensmeier (Co-I), Cooperative Centers on Human Immunology (CCHI) by the US NIAID, July 2019, 5 years, (£80.000/annum allocation to Southampton).
Vijayanand (PI), Ottensmeier (Co-I), R24 AI108564-05 entitled Research Resources: Epigenomic and Transcriptomic Profile of Human Immune Cells, US NIH; August 2019, 5 years (£50.000/annum allocation to Southampton).
Symeonides (PI) Ottensmeier (Co-PI) FAK-PDI Trial - ECMC Combinations Alliance, Verastem £395,000; MSD £585,000 CRUK £145,000 start date 2016.
Ottensmeier (PI) Preclinical development & a Phase I first in human trial of AST-VAC2. Telomerase Pulsed Allogeneic Dendritic Cells for the Immunotherapy of Lung Cancer. New Agents Committee – DD Project Proposal C491/A18158 01-Apr-14 - 31-Mar-19 Cancer Research UK,
Danson (PI), Ottensmeier (Co-I) NIHR HTA Reference: 15/57/66 A randomised discontinuation trial to evaluate optimal duration of anti-PD1 monoclonal antibody treatment in patients with metastatic melanoma: Date tbc 2017 (60 months)
1. Hardwick M, Nolan L, Nicoll JAR, et al. CD8 T-cell-mediated cerebellitis directed against Purkinje cell antigen after ipilimumab for small cell lung cancer. Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol 2022; 48(2): e12755.
2. Fennell DA, Griffiths G, Ottensmeier C, et al. CONFIRM trial: what is the real efficacy of second-line immunotherapy in mesothelioma? - Authors' reply. Lancet Oncol 2022; 23(1): e14-e5.
3. Wang C, Zainal NS, Chai SJ, et al. DNA Vaccines Targeting Novel Cancer-Associated Antigens Frequently Expressed in Head and Neck Cancer Enhance the Efficacy of Checkpoint Inhibitor. Frontiers in immunology 2021; 12: 763086.
4. von Witzleben A, Fehn A, Grages A, et al. Prospective longitudinal study of immune checkpoint molecule (ICM) expression in immune cell subsets during curative conventional therapy of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma (HNSCC). Int J Cancer 2021; 148(8): 2023-35.
5. Tanno L, Naheed S, Dunbar J, et al. Analysis of Immune Landscape in Pancreatic and Ileal Neuroendocrine Tumours Demonstrates an Immune Cold Tumour Microenvironment. Neuroendocrinology 2021.
6. Schmiedel BJ, Rocha J, Gonzalez-Colin C, et al. COVID-19 genetic risk variants are associated with expression of multiple genes in diverse immune cell types. Nature communications 2021; 12(1): 6760.
7. Schmiedel BJ, Chandra V, Rocha J, et al. COVID-19 genetic risk variants are associated with expression of multiple genes in diverse immune cell types. Nature Communications, in press 2021.
8. McCarthy C, Fedele S, Ottensmeier C, Shaw RJ. Early-Phase Interventional Trials in Oral Cancer Prevention. Cancers 2021; 13(15).
9. Kusnadi A, Ramirez-Suastegui C, Fajardo V, et al. Severely ill COVID-19 patients display impaired exhaustion features in SARS-CoV-2-reactive CD8(+) T cells. Sci Immunol 2021; 6(55).
10. Hardwick M, Nolan L, Nicoll JAR, et al. CD8 T-cell-mediated cerebellitis directed against Purkinje cell antigen after ipilimumab for small cell lung cancer. Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol 2021.
11. Ganesan AP, Ottensmeier CHH. Melanoma-reactive T cells take up residence. Nat Cancer 2021; 2(3): 253-5.
12. Fennell DA, Ewings S, Ottensmeier C, et al. Nivolumab versus placebo in patients with relapsed malignant mesothelioma (CONFIRM): a multicentre, double-blind, randomised, phase 3 trial. Lancet Oncol 2021.
13. Eschweiler S, Clarke J, Ramirez-Suastegui C, et al. Intratumoral follicular regulatory T cells curtail anti-PD-1 treatment efficacy. Nat Immunol 2021; 22(8): 1052-63.
14. Coen O, Corrie P, Marshall H, et al. The DANTE trial protocol: a randomised phase III trial to evaluate the Duration of ANti-PD-1 monoclonal antibody Treatment in patients with metastatic mElanoma. BMC Cancer 2021; 21(1): 761.
15. Bulloni M, Sandrini G, Stacchiotti I, et al. Automated Analysis of Proliferating Cells Spatial Organisation Predicts Prognosis in Lung Neuroendocrine Neoplasms. Cancers 2021; 13(19).
16. Zhu YP, Eggert T, Araujo DJ, Vijayanand P, Ottensmeier CH, Hedrick CC. CyTOF mass cytometry reveals phenotypically distinct human blood neutrophil populations differentially correlated with melanoma stage. J Immunother Cancer 2020; 8(2).
17. von Witzleben A, Wang C, Laban S, Savelyeva N, Ottensmeier CH. HNSCC: Tumour Antigens and Their Targeting by Immunotherapy. Cells 2020; 9(9).
18. von Witzleben A, Currall E, Wood O, et al. Correlation of HPV16 Gene Status and Gene Expression With Antibody Seropositivity and TIL Status in OPSCC. Frontiers in oncology 2020; 10: 591063.
19. Tezera LB, Bielecka MK, Ogongo P, et al. Anti-PD-1 immunotherapy leads to tuberculosis reactivation via dysregulation of TNF-alpha. eLife 2020; 9.
20. Schmiedel BJ, Chandra V, Rocha J, et al. COVID-19 genetic risk variants are associated with expression of multiple genes in diverse immune cell types. bioRxiv 2020.
21. Savelyeva N, Ottensmeier CH. Novel players: tissue-resident memory B cells. Blood 2020; 136(24): 2722-3.
22. Middleton G, Brock K, Savage J, et al. Pembrolizumab in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer of performance status 2 (PePS2): a single arm, phase 2 trial. Lancet Respir Med 2020; 8(9): 895-904.
23. Meckiff BJ, Ramirez-Suastegui C, Fajardo V, et al. Single-Cell Transcriptomic Analysis of SARS-CoV-2 Reactive CD4 (+) T Cells. SSRN 2020: 3641939.
24. Meckiff BJ, Ramirez-Suastegui C, Fajardo V, et al. Imbalance of Regulatory and Cytotoxic SARS-CoV-2-Reactive CD4(+) T Cells in COVID-19. Cell 2020; 183(5): 1340-53 e16.
25. Masterson L, Howard J, Gonzalez-Cruz J, et al. Immune checkpoint inhibitors in advanced nasopharyngeal carcinoma: Beyond an era of chemoradiation? Int J Cancer 2020; 146(8): 2305-14.
26. Kusnadi A, Ramirez-Suastegui C, Fajardo V, et al. Severely ill COVID-19 patients display augmented functional properties in SARS-CoV-2-reactive CD8 + T cells. bioRxiv 2020.
27. Garrido-Martin EM, Mellows TWP, Clarke J, et al. M1(hot) tumor-associated macrophages boost tissue-resident memory T cells infiltration and survival in human lung cancer. J Immunother Cancer 2020; 8(2).
28. Ford K, Hanley CJ, Mellone M, et al. NOX4 Inhibition Potentiates Immunotherapy by Overcoming Cancer-Associated Fibroblast-Mediated CD8 T-cell Exclusion from Tumors. Cancer Res 2020; 80(9): 1846-60.
29. Fleming JC, Woo J, Moutasim K, et al. CTEN Induces Tumour Cell Invasion and Survival and Is Prognostic in Radiotherapy-Treated Head and Neck Cancer. Cancers 2020; 12(10).
30. Conforti F, Ridley R, Brereton C, et al. Paracrine SPARC signaling dysregulates alveolar epithelial barrier integrity and function in lung fibrosis. Cell Death Discov 2020; 6: 54.
31. Cebon JS, Gore M, Thompson JF, et al. Results of a randomized, double-blind phase II clinical trial of NY-ESO-1 vaccine with ISCOMATRIX adjuvant versus ISCOMATRIX alone in participants with high-risk resected melanoma. J Immunother Cancer 2020; 8(1).
Dr. J Döscher, Head and Neck cancer surgeon (German Funding Agency (DFG) from 08/2021
Dr. Adrian von Witzleben, Head and Neck cancer surgeon, 2 year laboratory based training fellowship funded by the DFG from 02/2019 onwards
Dr. Edurne Arriola, consultant Medical oncologist, Barcelona, Spain, completed 2017
Dr. Arun Warrier, consultant Medical Oncologist, India, completed 2016
Dr. Laila Valles, consultant Medical Oncologist, Barcelona, Spain, completed 2015
PhD and MD supervision:
Current UoL PhD students:
Dr. JenBenoit Tanis
Dr. James Parry
Miss Eve Currall
Current Xian Jiaootang Liverpool University PhD students:
Miss Mingxuan Wan
Mist Ting Ting Li
Completed Phd and MD studentships:
Phd, non-clinical scientists: 8
MD and Phd, clinician Scientists: 10
Academic F1/F2 and MSC/intercalated students: 8
International students and trainees (6-8 weeks): 9
Personal Tutor for Medical Students at the University of Southampton and Liverpool: 12
2007- July 2020
Professor of Experimental Cancer Medicine, University of Southampton and
Honorary Consultant in Medical Oncology, Southampton University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
1995- to 07/2020
Department of Molecular Immunology/Cancer Sciences Division, University of Southampton, UK
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Division of Tumour Immunology, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, USA
PhD Thesis: “Immunogenetic Analysis of Human Follicle Centre Lymphomas and Diffuse Large Cell Lymphomas” Degree of Doctor of Philosophy, conferred by the University of Southampton
MD Thesis: "Flow cytometric analysis of DNA content in breast cancer"
Medical Degree at the "Westfälische Wilhelmsuniversität Münster", Germany
Institute of Pathology of "Von Bodelschwinghsche
Krankenanstalten" Bielefeld, Germany
Department of Medicine (Oncology and Haematology), Westfälische Wilhelmsuniversität Münster, Germany
Dpt of Medical Oncology, Southampton University Hospitals, UK
Senior Registrar in Medical Oncology, Dpt of Medical Oncology, University of Southampton, UK
Certificate of Completion of Specialist Training in Medical, Oncology, conferred by the Medical Royal Colleges, United Kingdom